Before you shop online at JCPenney, be sure to activate our cash back offer!
When entrepreneur James Cash Penney opened the very first JCPenney as a dry goods store over 100 years ago in Kemmerer, Wyoming, his business model was considered revolutionary. At the first store, originally called Golden Rule, Penney prohibited haggling — a common practice in 1902 — to keep prices down, while encouraging his employees to prioritize customer satisfaction.
Fast-forward to the present day, and Penney’s tiny dry goods shop has expanded to 650 locations around the U.S. Today, the iconic retailer’s inventory has widened to include apparel, home goods, jewelry, cosmetics and more. But for all the growth the retailer has experienced over the last century, JCPenney has remained faithful to its founder’s commitment to low prices and exceptional customer service.
JCPenney prices may already be budget-friendly, but the RetailMeNot team can’t help but look for even more ways to save (What can we say? We love a deal.) Our savings experts share 13 imaginative ways to save at JCPenney, or JCP as we fanatics call it.
1. Join the JCPenney Rewards Program
Totally free and ultra-easy to sign up for, the JCPenney Rewards Program is a retailer rewards program worth joining — even if you’re not a frequent JCP shopper. The loyalty club hooks members up with points-back whenever they shop at JCPenney, along with other exclusive perks.
These are some of our favorite benefits of enrolling in JCPenney Rewards:
- 1 point back for every $2 spent on every eligible purchase from JCPenney (Maximum $2,000 points per transaction). JCPenney will sometimes offer boosted earnings on certain categories. For example, you might be able to earn 3X points on, say, beauty purchases for a limited time. Watch for these promotions and plan accordingly.
- A $10 reward for every 200 points earned.
- A free birthday gift.
- Bonus events: Earn a $10 rewards when you spend $50
- Additional member-exclusive offers throughout the year.
To sign up for JCPenney Rewards, you have the option to register in-store with an associate at checkout, online or via the JCPenney mobile app. Again, the program is free to join, and you need only provide your name, phone number and email address.
2. Download the JCPenney App
JCPenney’s app is packed with convenient, money-saving features.
Here are some of the app functions that have helped us save the most at JCP:
- Snap to Shop – This futuristic, super-useful feature lets you take a photo with your phone to search JCPenney for similar items to shop.
- Deal Alerts – The app will send you alerts about current sales and up-and-coming store events. Depending on your settings, the app alerts come as phone notifications or messages to your inbox.
- Coupon Wallet – In the app wallet, you’ll discover coupons, rewards and special offers automatically uploaded and ready for you to use.
- Rewards – As a JCPenney app user, you’re automatically enrolled in JCPenney Rewards. The app tracks your rewards points and lets you see how close you are to earning your next $10 reward.
- Price Scanner – The app’s integrated real-time price scanner lets you check prices, colors and sizes on the spot.
- Free Same-Day JCP Curbside Pickup – Using the app, you can order items and pick them up in-store on the same day for free. Arrange for contact-free curbside pickup, and a store associate will load your order right into your trunk without you ever having to leave your car.
3. Check the JCPenney Weekly Ad
The JCPenney weekly ad is a treasure trove of coupons, promo codes, deals and sales. As the title suggests, JCPenney updates their weekly ad, well, weekly, making it a good resource for savings opportunities. Besides its weekly circular, JCPenney also releases seasonal ads for holidays like Black Friday and Labor Day, as well as toy books and gift guides.
4. Sign Up for JCPenney Email or Text Alerts
Scroll down to the bottom of the JCPenney homepage, and you’ll find a space to provide your email or phone number. Supply your contact info to get emails or text updates on current deals and other special offers. Email sign-up discounts are one of the smartest and easiest ways to save, so be sure to take advantage.
5. Get JCPenney Free Shipping
JCPenney.com offers free standard shipping on orders of $75 or more. Standard shipping typically takes between five and seven business days. Note free shipping may not be available on oversized items or orders that need to be delivered with a truck.
Besides free home delivery on orders over $75, JCPenney provides free ship-to-store service on orders over $25. When you opt to have your order shipped to a JCPenney store, it typically arrives within four to seven business days.
Similarly, JCPenney offers free same-day in-store and curbside pickup on select items. Orders are usually ready in as little as two hours.
6. Get a JCPenney Price Match
Price matching lets you shop with confidence, knowing that you’re getting the best price. The best price-matching programs let you ask for a price match at the point of purchase (if another retailer’s price is lower) AND get a price match after the fact if the price drops after you buy.
Does JCPenney Price Match?
Yes. JCPenney offers price matching on products from their in-store and online competitors, including Amazon.com. If you find a lower price on an identical item from a qualifying competitor, JCPenney will match it.
To take advantage of JCPenney’s price matching policy, show a copy of the valid advertisement showing the item and pricing to a store associate or call JCPenney’s customer care. You can even get a price match on items you’ve already purchased from JCPenney — simply present the qualifying ad and your JCPenney receipt within 14 days of purchase, and JCP will refund you the difference.
Does JCPenney Price Matching Work for Black Friday?
Yes! And this is extra generous because many retailers exclude Black Friday pricing from their price-match policies. Not JCPenney, though. It offers price matching 356 days a year.
7. Open a JCPenney Credit Card
If you’re planning on doing a lot of shopping at JCPenney, consider opening a JCPenney credit card. Not only does the card link up with your JCPenney Rewards so you’ll never miss out on earning points (cardholders get two times the rewards points), but you’ll also enjoy over 100 exclusive savings days throughout the year.
These are some of our favorite perks of being a JCPenney credit cardmember:
- 1 point back for every $1 spent on every eligible purchase from JCPenney (Maximum $2,000 points per transaction).
- A $10 reward for every 200 points earned.
- Over 150 special savings days exclusive to JCPenney credit cardholders.
- Member-exclusive offers throughout the year.
Besides these perks, you can earn even more benefits the more you spend using your JCPenney credit card per calendar year. If you spend $500 or more at JCPenney using your credit card in a year, you’re instantly granted Gold cardmember status — which gets you a passbook of coupons with special offers and a pick-your-own-sale-day pass. If you spend $1,000 or more, you unlock Platinium cardmember status, which grants you additional perks like bonus point days and access to exclusive Platinium member sales.
8. Browse RetailMeNot JCPenney Deals
In the vastness of the worldwide web, it can be a hassle finding JCPenney coupon codes that actually work. That’s why RetailMeNot has an entire team devoted to hunting down the best JCPenney deals — not only promo codes but sales, special offers, free shipping opportunities and more. Before shopping at JCPenney, always check out our carefully curated selection of JCPenney deals, which we are constantly updating with the latest offers.
9. Shop JCPenney Clearance
You can visit the clearance section on JCPenney.com to land deals on apparel, jewelry and home goods. In the past, we’ve seen items discounted by up to 70%. Stack clearance deals with coupon savings (we’ll talk more about stacking JCPenney coupons in the next tip) to save even more.
10. Stack JCPenney Coupons
JCPenney allows coupon stacking, a savings strategy that involves using over one coupon per transaction. The catch? The coupons have to be different types — for example, a percentage or dollars off discount coupon, a rewards coupon and/or free shipping promo. Many JCPenney coupons are stackable onto clearance and sale items — just be sure to double-check terms to determine eligibility.
11. Score Professional Photography for Less With JCPenney Portrait Coupons
Nestled within participating JCPenney stores, JCPenney Portraits by Lifetouch is a professional studio offering family portraits, headshots, outdoor shoots and other photography services. JCPenney Portraits photo services are already relatively affordable, but you can save even more with these tips:
- Join the JCPenney Portraits Perks Club – As a member of the Perks Club, you pay zero session fees for photoshoots with JCPenney Portraits. You also get one free standard print, one free collage and other rewards and freebies.
- Get a Military Discount – As a current or former military service member, you get waived session fees, plus 65% off prints. To get the JCPenney Portraits military discount, simply present your military ID at your session.
- Check for Offers – Throughout the year, JCPenney Portrait runs special offers and sales — like the Black Friday sale or the holiday digital album sale. To discover current offers, check the JCPenney Portraits offer page.
12. Complete a JCPenney Customer Satisfaction Survey
JCPenney cares about the customer experience — that’s why the company often rewards you for taking the time to fill out customer satisfaction surveys.
After shopping at JCPenney, check the bottom of your sales receipt for an invitation to complete a survey. Go online and complete the brief, five-minute survey to score a 10% off coupon!
13. Shop the JCPenney Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales
Of all the JCPenney annual sales, the retailer’s Black Friday and Cyber Mondays sales are probably our favorites. In recent years, we’ve seen JCPenney offer as much as 60% off apparel and jewelry, as well as up to 50% off kitchenware and toys. Black Friday sales typically kick off around Thanksgiving and run through the weekend, with Cyber Monday taking over on Monday. Traditionally, JCPenney has released its Black Friday ad weeks in advance, so start looking for the JCPenney circular at the start of November.
JCPenney Black Friday Hours
Although JCPenney usually closes on Thanksgiving, the store usually opens early on Black Friday. In the past, the retailer has opened its retail stores as early as 5 a.m. on Black Friday. At the same time as JCPenney stores open on Black Friday, JCPenney.com launches JCPenney Black Friday deals online.
JCPenney Black Friday Coupon
If you enjoy shopping in-store on Black Friday, JCPenney makes that experience extra exciting by offering exclusive Black Friday coupons — usually a mystery offer that gives you a discount of $10 or even larger amounts if you’re in line when stores open.
14. Get Cash Back When You Shop at JCPenney
RetailMeNot offers cash back at a variety of stores, including JCPenney. Just activate the cash back offer here (you’ll be asked to create a RetailMeNot account if you don’t already have one) and shop online with JCPenney. A percentage of what you spend will automatically get deposited into your RetailMeNot wallet, which you can then redeem via PayPal or Venmo. Here’s how it all works.
The post 14 Ways to Save at JCPenney Every Time You Shop appeared first on The Real Deal by RetailMeNot.