On the list of things that you don’t want in your cough syrup, potentially dangerous pathogens such as fungus rank pretty darn high. That’s why Haleon is voluntarily recalling eight lots of its Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult and Robitussin Honey CF Max Nighttime Adult products, according to a U.S. Food and Drug Administration announcement. The announcement didn’t specify what microbes may have made their way into these products. But it did mention fungemia or disseminated fungal infection as a risk for those with weaker immune systems. This would suggest that the cold and cough medicine may have been contaminated with some kind of fungus, which in general isn’t a fun thing to have in your body.
Now, a strong immune system often keeps you from having a life threatening infection should a fungus make it into your body. However, a strong immune system isn’t like the Infinity Gauntlet. It can’t offer a 100% protection against fungal infections where you can say, “Does that drink have fungus in it? Bring it over here and pour me some.” You can still get fungal infections and occasionally it can cause badness.
Those who are immunocompromised are in a different fungal boat. The chances of fungal badness are much higher. The announcement did emphasize that “So far, Haleon has not received any reports of adverse events related to this recall.” Nevertheless, the CF in the product name shouldn’t stand for Coughing Fungus. So, if you have a product from any of the following lots either throw it away or return it for a refund:
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult 4oz: Lot Number T10810, Expiry Date: October 31, 2025
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult 8oz: Lot Number T08730, Expiry Date: May 31, 2025
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult 8oz: Lot Number T08731, Expiry Date: May 31, 2025
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult 8oz: Lot Number T08732, Expiry Date: May 31, 2025
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult 8oz: Lot Number T08733, Expiry Date: May 31, 2025
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Day Adult 8oz: Lot Number T10808, Expiry Date: September 30, 2025
- Robitussin Honey CF Max NT Adult 8oz: Lot Number T08740, Expiry Date: June 30, 2026
- Robitussin Honey CF Max Nt Adult 8oz: Lot Number T08742, Expiry Date: June 30, 2026
If you’ve already used the product and are worried about having a fungal infection, contact your doctor. Again, if you have a strong immune system the chances of a life-threatening fungal infection are probably fairly low. At the same time, the symptoms of a fungal infection can be very non-specific and can range from mild to very serious. Common symptoms of fungal infections include fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, joint pain, fevers, night sweats or some weight loss. There are other possible symptoms but many depend on where in the body the fungal infection actually is. If you have any doubt, don’t play fungal roulette and instead consult your doctor.